Carey Green is a retired Pastor who’s become a serial entrepreneur. As with most entrepreneurs he feels that he’s got way too many ideas, but loves putting his wildly diverse skill set to working making at least some of them become reality. But he insists it’s a blast and he wouldn’t trade it for anything. Though he’s open to all possibilities, he never wants to work a regular J-O-B again. Ever. The freedom and family time he gets by working for himself, from home, is something he never wants to give up.
He’s got two main financial goals at this point:
#1- Earn a living through his online efforts in a way that provides time for his real passion, marriage and family coaching through Christian Home and Family.
#2 – Make enough income to give away at least $10,000 in 2015. Thinking of being a blessing to people in tangible ways motivates Carey more than anything else. For him, it’s not about the money, it’s about the good he can do in the world with the money.
Carey is on the show because of some success he’s had in a recent email marketing campaign that he put together himself. He’s not a marketer, has no training in sales, and has never felt himself to be a salesman at all. In fact, he’s tried sales-based jobs twice and failed miserably both times. But his recent email campaign has gotten -him better results than he’s ever had in any kind of advertising or marketing.
His actual conversion rate for the mail campaign – not click-throughs, but actual “clients-who-gave-him-money” conversion rate is at 6.23%. How does that compare to averages? It depends on how you calculate it… and everyone seems to do it differently. But the most optimistic averages seem to be a click-through rate of 3.3% (http://goo.gl/u0xMsy). So Careys’ campaign outpaced the averages, especially when you consider that his numbers are on actual sales, not just click-throughs.
Today Carey is going to share everything he believes went in to his higher average and give tips about how to think differently about email marketing. We cover “The 7 Steps to Carey Green’s Email Marketing Success”. Here’s what Carey talks about:
- Step 1: How he gets niche-specific leads
- Step 2: Which would he rather use to contact potential clients, website contact form or email?
- Step 3: What goes into his subject line?
- Step 4: The main things to focus on when composing the email (the recipient is a PERSON, care for them, email tone, clearly defined benefits, keep it brief)
- Step 5: The power of the first line in the email – make it personal and relevant.
- Step 6: Giving the message the right “tone.”
- Step 7: Call to action.
As a “bonus” to listeners of this episode Carey’s providing an exclusive link to a blog page that contains the exact email he sent to potential clients with explanations of what he did and why he did it. He also discusses the tweaks he made to the email as he went along and how he personalized it to each recipient. There’s a PDF download of the information as well, so feel free to grab your own copy.
Get your “BONUS” here: PodcastFastTrack.com/Pine
- Podcast Fast Track (www.PodcastFastTrack.com) – a podcast production company that sells two primary things: Time and Professional podcast audio. Beyond that he outsources other services for podcasters including show notes, voice-over, unique music, and video repurposing. He’s also in the process of working out a deal to provide a “Podcast Guest Search” service to help podcasters find those expert guests that can make their episodes sizzle even more.
- Pass the Safe Exam (www.PassTheSafeExam.com) – after retiring from church work Carey studied and tested to become a Mortgage Loan Originator in the U.S. Within days of beginning his studies he realized that there was a huge demand for study help for the required S.A.F.E. test. So he created a video “study methods” course teaching wanna-be Loan Officers HOW to study for the test. It’s about mindset and test-taking skills and has been a huge success. Since creating the video study course he’s run it on a “Pay What You Want” model, beginning at $20. In just over a year he’s made almost $12,000 from this part-time, passive income business. Not bad, eh?
- Free Audacity Tutorials (www.FreeAudacityTutorials.com) – using the power of a YouTube Channel Carey provides step by step screen capture tutorials on how to use the popular, free audio editing software “Audacity.” So far, the only monetization he’s been able to do is through Google Adwords on his site and YouTube advertising, which combined have provided right around $100 every three months. It’s small, but it’s income, and the figures are growing each month. But wait… there’s more! Carey’s in the process of creating an “Audacity for Podcaster’s” video course to cover not only the HOW of using the Audacity software, but also includes hacks and tricks to make workflow faster, more efficient, and higher quality. He hopes to release the course by the end of 2015 and offer it both through is tutorial website and his podcast production website.
- Fantasy Fiction Author (www.DragonSlayerBook.com) – Carey’s been an author for a long time, but mainly in the realm of practical church and spiritual growth non-fiction works. But his kids encouraged him into the fiction world to write a series based on stories he told them when they were small. It’s a Christian-laced fantasy coming of age story about a kid who’s ripped from his home during a dragon attack and his journey to face his inner dragons and become a dragon slayer. His sales have been pretty meager, but the 23 reviews he’s gotten so far are at a 4 1/2 star average (http://goo.gl/HgfahH). Carey’s not worried. It’s been fun to write and he knows that making money as an author takes time. Small steps. That’s his focus.
Once you listen to the show, you will easily be able to tell how comfortable Carey is with speaking and talking about his business. His audio came out clean and crisp and so this can be used as a great pre-cursor for you to see how he can help you with your own podcasting show. Here are some links to learn more about Carey Green:
Here’s a video introduction about Carey Green’s podcastfasttrack.com business:
Carey does a great job of explaining the step-by-step process for launching a successful email campaign. Below are the key points to the show, but I highly recommend listening to the show in its entirety:
- Who is Carey Green? (2:48 Mark)
- What are the average click-through rates and what are they? (6:00 Mark)
- How Carey found leads on iTunes (Step 1)? (7:30 mark)
- What is better, contact forms or emails to generate leads (Step 2)? (11:25 mark)
- How to write a good subject line (Step 3)? (13:53 Mark)
- What are the main focal points in drafting an email (Step 4)?(16:43 Mark)
- Making the first line in the email powerful (Step 5). (22:58 Mark)
- How to use the right tone (Step 6)? (24:29 Mark)
- Don’t forget the Call-to-action (Step 7). (26:38 Mark)
- What is Carey’s “Break Away” moment? (41:09 Mark)
Stop Riding the Pine is a lot of fun and we love sharing the shows we’ve done. We would greatly appreciate your assistance in helping us grow this show by not only downloading the episodes, but also sharing them. Leave comments and rate our show so we can make the show even better. Here are the links: